Help With Sharpening Image

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to processing images and need a bit of help with the following.

I captured the following image of Jupiter:

83941d1333182308-saturn-31_03_12-first-time-capturing-saturn_6.jpg

And with help from another member, the image was processed to the following:

83983d1333211551-saturn-31_03_12-first-time-capturing-saturn_6.jpg

I've tried myself to recreate the image above from the original but can't get the same sharpness (see below):

84045d1333277316-saturn-31_03_12-first-time-capturing-saturn_6_2.jpg

Could anyone offer some advice on what tool/filters to use to sharpen up the image? I'm using GIMP on windows for image processing.

Original thread is here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/183232-saturn-31_03_12-first-time-capturing.html

I think that's Saturn you mean :)

It's all a bit still hit & miss with me as well. Sharpening - use the wavelets in registax. Also if you're not look up, then make or buy a bahtinov mask. it'll make a huge difference to the actual captures frames.

I've tried myself to recreate the image above from the original but can't get the same sharpness (see below):

84045d1333277316-saturn-31_03_12-first-time-capturing-saturn_6_2.jpg

Could anyone offer some advice on what tool/filters to use to sharpen up the image? I'm using GIMP on windows for image processing.

Hi.Thought I recognised that original image and on checking your initial post I see I should have replied to your query re sharpening............ Unfortunately the turnover on the forum is so rapid and my visits a bit irregular.......I can't keep up......:)

Anyhow,I have done a repro of your image and included a highlighted history of the tools used which I hope will help,although Photoshop not GIMP was used. (The Eliptical Marquee tool was used just to isolate the planet. )

Ignore the lower half,this was just me playing with the colours.....the permutations are limitless.......:)

post-13495-133877759003_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks again Cloudwatcher for getting back to me.

Atlas, I downloaded Image Analyser last night but really don't know how to use it! And thanks for having a go at the image, it definately looks brighter but it's still got a yellow/orange cast to it (but I guess that's how it looks in the eye piece!).

Scarlet, I've been thinking about a bahtinov mask which I'll get round to making sooner or later but for now I just dial in and out of focus until I land on what I think looks the business.

Archived