I have just bought an Aspen 750x150 reflector telescope, 2nd hand. It comes with a 10mm 2xBarlow Lens.

I have no idea what to do with it to view anything through it. The finder scope I can look through and find what I want to look at but then when I look through the eyepiece/focusing tube I can't see anything.

Very frustrating. If anyone can give me good clear, conscise help I would be in your debt!

Hi Blackbuck, you need to "line" up the finder scope with the main scope - best to do it in the daytime. Look for an object - say a chmney or the tip of a tree about 1/2 mile away and point the main scope in the direction of say a house about the same distance away - then put the eyepiece in the focuser, move the focuser closer and farther away from the tube whilst looking into the eyepiece to get sharp focus (the image will be upside down), then, when focused - move to the edge of the chimney - look through the finder - then adjust the finder with the 3 screws on the side to "line up the centre of the crosshairs with the chimney, thats the telescope set up so when you move the scope to an object seen through the finder - its centred in the eyepiece.

Hope that helps - its a little tricky to get the scope set up, but once set up in the day you can fine tune on say the moon or a bright star. Cheers Paul.

Hi... & welcome to the forum

Can't see anything through the eyepiece...or can't see the same thing as through the finder ?

try during the day to use the eyepiece to see something..then look through the finder & using the screws on it...move it to the same target as in the eyepiece

Try putting your open eye to the eyepiece :icon_salut:

Sorry had to get that one in.

Just follow the instructions from the guys above and you'll be fine.

May sound a bit silly but have you removed the lense cap over the main tube? Easily forgotten, I've done it several times :D

• 2 weeks later...

hi im new to this but ive got a aspen and had the same thing you have to loosen the finder scope on the telescope aswell and keep checking the eye piece do it in the day as told and mine still moves out if knocked. can any one help me my aspen is a 150 x 750 with two eye pieces 10mm & 20mm do i need to get any moe lenses to see planets better many thanks mick

Get yourself a Tal 2x Barlow lense Mick and maybe a couple of better quality eyepieces. They will make all the difference to the scope.

Get a coloured filter set and a moon filter too. These will help with planetary detail. And if you view from light polluted skies an LPR filter wouldn't go a miss either.

Archived