Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SKYWATCHER 127mm MAK - Which new eyepeice

I have an Skywatcher 127mm MAK which came with the stock 10 mm and 25 mm Skywatcher Super EP, and a 2x Barlow. I am really happy with what I get from the 25 mm EP, but the 10 mm struggles a bit with anything other than lunar and planetary viewing. Therefore I am looking to get something to supplement/replace the higher magnification EP as I get the impression that a good EP can make a difference.

With a budget of £40 what eye-peice do SGL members recommend? I am hoping to get something that is near to the 25 mm for clarity when observing DSO but with a higher magnification.

Thanks in advance.

I use a 10mm Baader Hyperion with my Mak 127 with very good results. At around £90 it's a bit over your budget, but you might be able to pick up a 2nd hand one for your money. A similar but cheaper option would be a 9mm Celestron Xcel LX which you might pick up new for £60. I've got the 12mm Xcel LX and pleased with that too.

George,

Thanks for the help; the Celestron looks really nice and I am fairly happy to push the budget a bit if getting over the £60 mark is what makes the difference. Did your 127 Mak come with the same SW super EP? If so how much of a difference do the 2 EP you have mentioned make?

Yes, mine came with the same 24mm and 10mm super EP's that your's did. By getting the 9mm Xcel or the 10mm Hyperion you will get a noticably brighter and higher contrast view than with the stock 10mm. You also get the added benefit of a much wider field of view at the same magnification.

Once you've replaced the 10mm stock EP, your next purchase should be a 32mm which will give you a wider low power view than the 24mm. The 32mm Celestron Omni Plossl is the one I can recommend at around £45. If you then want to replace the stock 24mm after that, you might consider the 24mm Xcel LX.

I use an 8mm BST Explorer EP and I love it! Do not buy the celestron EP set for a hundred odd quid. Only the 32mm is worth it and youll only need the filters if you've got a mono CCD...

The 8mm is on eBay, sold by a respectable 'shop' for ?47£. I LOVE this EP. Great FOV etc etc. wanna buy the 5mm one as well but decided to go for a 2x TAL Barlow as the provided one was rubbish...

Archived