skymax 127 + mount

hi all,

I have decided to cancel a order for a 4se scope due to not knowing when it will arrive in the uk.

I have found a supplier with a mint skymax 127, they are testing it this weekend.

So now a mount.....

Eq3-2 or eq5 deluxe, with dual motors to follow

Is this scope and mounts a good start for me ?

Paul

Get the most expensive mount you can afford. The better the mount now, the less you have to upgrade at a later date should you wish to.

First Light Optics - Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO

This is an alternative mount to the Skywatcher and will carry the 127 well.

Skywatcher Skymax mak's are very good scopes and you will be very happy with the performance of the optics. Plus you get an extra inch of aperture over the 4SE so more light grasp.

You will get excellent planetary views with it and will be able to pick out the brighter DSO's.

You will also be able to do some AP of the moon and brighter planets such as Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and Venus with it using a DSLR or a webcam.

Personally I'd go straght awayy for the Goto mount unless you know the night sky already or have a copy of Turn Left At Orion which will teach you the night sky.

Download Stellaruim for your PC too and if you have a smartphone I can highly recommend Sky Safari Plus, Star Chart, SkEye, Vortex and The Night Sky.

Hope this helps ;)

Are you sure you want the bother (as in weight and setup fussiness) of an EQ mount when you could get an alt-az goto mount for far less? OK, so it will be a bit less stable, but people seem to get by.

I know what you are saying, but many would argue that an EQ mount is overkill for visual use. You may find the hassle of setup a discouragement - making several trips to transport the parts of the mount, then assembling, doing a polar alignment, then orienting the goto... Not to mention the odd angles the eyepiece gets into with an EQ. It may work for you of course. Can you get to a shop where you can see some of these items first-hand?

Archived