Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP for , Mid magnification for short refractor?

Hi all,

Well after the helpful advice on the forum I now have the following eyepieces (in addition to the 9mm and 25mm supplied by Celestron) for my 102mm SLT refractor (Fl 660mm, f6):

5mm TMB Planetary II - Pushing it with this scope I know, but I having been happy with lunar views so far, loving the eye relief

8mm Vixen NPL - was a bargain buy, seems like a well built EP and nice views at 82.5x (but I would perhaps like a wider field of view ...)

25mm BST explorer - loving the low magnification wide views through the EP

... Where I am clearly lacking is a nice medium power eyepiece ... I am thinking of:

1. Replacing the 8mm NPL with a TMB II 9mm or BST Explorer 8mm (for the wider FOV)

2. A BST Explorer 12 or 15mm

I am thinking that for a relatively short FL telescope I should be looking for an eyepiece giving me, for 'general/medium magnification' use of 50-60x magnification? Which encourages me to think that a 12mm BST might be the way to go?

Grateful for any thought on my choice of eyepieces and whether I out to be looking at 12mm or slightly higher or lower FL EP with my scope for medium magnifications?

Many thanks

Carl

The 12mm BST sounds about right, gives 55x, also just over 1 degree view.

If you are thinking of clusters then maybe the 18mm for 37x and one and a half degree view. Just a bit more view to frame them in.

I would go for the 12mm myself.

Archived