Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Thrust nut size ??

terrym2002uk

I managed to strip the thread on the thrust locking nut today when I was dismantling the mount.

its the nut of the bolt that goes through the centre of the mount, ie under the side covers. Does any one know the size of the nut. The bolt is labelled G.L 8.8 ???

Aside from this issue, I have now steel plated my altitude pin, and the movement is so much smoother than gouging out aluminium holes. ... and boy are those side cover hard to get off!

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the mount but can tell you the 8.8 is only a tensile rating on the bolt. 8.8 is a high tensile bolt and therefore won't snap.

When you get another bolt (if you're replacing both) make sure you replace it with a similar rated unit for strength.

I would assume it would be a metric bolt and if you could get access to a pair of vernier callipers you could soon determine the size of the bolt, not as easy as waiting for an answer from someone here who has the relevant information I suppose but it would be my first port of call since I have digital verniers.

Good luck!

I had one nut in my old tool box, and amazingly it was an exact fit! Better quality too

Seems to be a ht one too.

I have a digital caliper on order and have also just got some Draper screw pitch gauges which will no doubt come in handy in the future.

Archived