1st Outing

Having genned up all things telescopic by following these threads I managed to pick up a 2nd hand Sky-Watcher Explorer 200P with EQ5 mount for a little over half price, which suited my very limited budget (thanks Keith!). Couldn't wait to get started so had it up in boodlewoodle fashion (

) before it was properly dark and pointing the the moon - amazing with the 25mm lens and just got better with the 10mm ad 2x Barlow, once I realized the the bit on the end of the Barlow with the wee hole was a lens cap and actually came off so the lens did actually fit after all). Venus was so bright in the viewfinder, but I could clearly make out the phase, maybe I need a filter to see more! Jupiter with band and moons was awesome.

Had some work to tidy up so put the caps on then came out later and pointed her at Mars. Nice clear disc but couldn't make out much detail - I don't think that the fact I was in the back garden beside a street light helped much! Lined up Saturn and was blown away by the surreal disc and moons. Even got her ladyship out of bed (now 1am) and she was suitably impressed!

For one last target I tried Epsilon Lyrae - found the two doubles but couldn't split them - though not sure if that's possible with my setup. Also thinking that by this stage I'd probably got my prints on the lenses.

I've now ordered a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion' and will shortly be off to check out an out of town site on a small hill which is totally free from streetlights!

Archived