Stargazer 150PL & DSLR set-up - 1st Post

Hi Guys,

Firstly I'd like to say hi to everyone out there. This is my first post as I get started and try to understand what I need to know. I think I have just reached the point of realising how much I don't know!

I have a Sky Watcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-PRO SynScan GoTo telescope and after numerous cases of 'operator error' have now mastered the set-up process. Having mastered this I am trying to match my new interest in the heavens with my other long time interest, photography.

I have an adapter to mount my Nikon onto the telescope, but this means removing the eye piece off the telescope and the lens off the camera. I took some good first attempt shots of the new moon on Sunday night, but am wondering how to get any greater magnification? I'm expecting you all to say 'ditch the DSLR and get a good webcam, so I can view though an eye piece'.

I'd be really keen to hear from all you experts:icon_salut:

Thanks

Kevin

Welcome to SGL.

For moon and planets "Ditch the dSLR and get a webcam" :blob10:

For Deep sky stuff (galaxies etc) you need bigger field of views and longer exposures (the opposite is generally true for moon/planets).

For a Nikon you'll need one of these >>First Light Optics - T Rings<< and one of these >>First Light Optics - FLO 1.25-inch T mount camera adapter<< or these (depending on the focuser your have)>>First Light Optics - FLO 2-inch T mount camera adapter<<

Focusing can be an issue with reflectors as there is quite often not enough IN focus for a dSLR - guess you'll have to try and find out. On my last reflector there wasn't, but the one before there was about a mm to spare!

Upon checking your scope has a 1.25" focuser. One way around the back focus issue is to just use the T ring and screw it directly into the focuser. I cannot tell from the picture if this scope had one of them - but I would be surprised if it didn't!

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ant

guys [and girls],

Thanks for making me so welcome. Your input is much appreciated, especially the link to the First Optics website and the extended tube camera mounts.

I am getting quicker at the set-up process each night and got really excited at Orion's Nebula last night. Still so much I need to learn.......

Cheers

Kevin

Archived