I studied a level 5 75 point certificate with the open uni about ten years ago. The course was brilliant. You even get to put Cert APS after your name!

S282 Astronomy 30 points...... Sun and Stars & Galaxies and Cosmology. You learn how the sun works, the differences between the stars etc. How galaxies work and what happens when the collide etc.

S283 Planetary Science and the Search for Life. 30 points You learn about the planets in the solar system. Also, you learn about why life is inevitable on earth and speculate how chemical evolution may occur on another planet. I did quite a lot on titan because Huygens was due to land a few years later.

SXR208 Observing the Universe. 15 points. A week long residential module at a semi-pro observatory in Majorca. We learned how to calibrate and operate 10" LX 200s. We had STL1001 CCDs and spectrometers to record data and process in Maxim DL. Then we had to write up a report on one of the tasks we completed. I made my own Hertzsprung-Russell diagram... to good effect. 84% on this module!

All the modules were really good! No prior knowledge or experience required. Lots of little projects throughout. I remember one that showed you how to calculate the luminosity of the sun using a light bulb and a piece of paper with a dot of cooking oil in the middle.

I cant sing my praise for the OU loud enough. Ive completed 4 quals with them now and these astronomy modules were some of the best. The maths ones were also very good. And the design and technology one.... they are all spot on! :(

I second the quality of OU in the UK. Although I did completely unrelated courses with them, and ended up doing an OU degree, they were - overall - perhaps the best courses I have ever attended.

If you're looking for general learning, brushing up or even getting into some new stuff without spending a penny, the Khan Academy also comes highly recommended. Perhaps the section on Cosmology & Astronomy will be suffice?

I must stress I have not looked into this in great detail but, depending on whether you want/need the official bit of paper at the end, MIT offers a massive stash of lecture notes, syllabus breakdowns etc on their site. Looked at some o the basic maths/physics ones and for free course materials they looked pretty sweet. There is one on the solar system, one on intro to astronomy, hands-on astronomy... The index page is here anyway if you fancy a look. I'm going to delve a bit deeper when I get five minutes.

Free Online Course Materials | Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences | MIT OpenCourseWare

cheers

Chris

EDIT: sorry, just re-read and your original question specified local courses.

Archived