NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn and Mars last night

Been in "the business" for a bit over a year now, but still consider myself a "newbie".

The last two nights have had good seeing, so been looking at Mars and Saturn with my 6SE and Kson 102ED.

Both are giving great views and I can see detail on Mars including the Polar icecap.

Saturn is a bit trickier, being lower in the sky and only just above the surrounding rooftops (yes I live in the middle of a city and have a lovely bright orange sodium streetlight at the end of my (small) garden).

Still I can see banding, the Cassini division and Titan.

Nebulas, apart from the brighteset are a wash out, but I'm getting into double stars. Got a near "split" on a 1 arcsecond double with the Kson last night so it's still well worth it:hello2:

Well Mars to me last night was a disappointment. It was very bright and had the four light bars showing like a star. I could see surface markings, not sure about ice cap. I should have tried a filter to cut down the glare. Saturn was still very low and in a lp area for me, but could see some banding. Apart from orion I didnt see any dso's but thats down to me still not knowing where to look. I do have stellarium!

Archived