which order mount, scope, ep's

I am a photographer to trade and have been brought up on invest in the glass then the body as the glass will last you a lifetime. Which I have always stuck with, never run out and get the the latest body will keep my d3 for a while no need for a d4 but would like one.

I guess its the same for astronomy?

I have kind of gone middle of the road as the second hand market seems quite buoyant so can trade up with not too much loss. Sw150P on EQ3-2, 6mm SW Super Plossl, 8-24 SW zoom and next generation collimating laser plus 10mm, 25mm and 2x barlow that came with the scope. This kit is good entry level stuff to see if i catch the bug so in 6 to 8 months if still have the bug will look to upgrade over the next year as follows

Baader 8-24 zoom and 2x barlow

A quality 32mm

then the NEQ6 Pro or HEQ5 (need to check the weight)

and finally the SW Quattro 10CF

Eyepieces will get the best out of the existing scope.

Mount will get the best out of existing scope and be future proof for me

10" or bigger scope when funds allow.

So would you go EP's, Mount, Scope or other order?

If you are interested in imaging then the key investment is the mount.

For visual it would be scope / mount and the eyepieces that come with it then better quality eyepieces and other accessories like filters in due course. If the bug bites then you will upgrade all of it, probably a number of times, in due course though.

Many folks here have been through a number of scopes, owning several at a time and numerous eyepieces. They tend to be rather personal things you see and it takes some experimenting to see which suits you :blob10:

Hi Demo - another thing which a lot of people overlook are your sky conditions - no matter which scope you go for - the sky conditions are a factor - ok - imaging not so much - but if your doing visual as well - you need to think of your sky - I have really poor skies where I live - so struggle, but keep plugging away - wonder where you areand whats your skies like. Paul

I think I have pretty good skies I am in Turriff and on the outskirts population of 4000 so not a huge amount of light pollution to contend with only issue is I am on the north edge of the town about 700 yards from the nearest street light as my house is in in a field. Don't think I will get to into the imaging side other than dabble, visual is the buzz for me hence the quattro type of ambition.

Archived