More on using the SPC900

JamesF

I don't have a modded camera so I can't be sure, but I believe that whilst you're only actually getting 1fps and the configured setting is ignored, the negotiated data rates and compression still apply for the configured setting. So, if you select 10fps and run the LX mod with an exposure time of one second the compression level for 10fps still applies.

It would therefore seem sensible to select 5fps if you're using the LX mod to get the least possible compression.

The thought occurs to me that because under Linux we can UTSL ("Use The Source, Luke") it may be possible to modify the driver offer frame rates of 1fps and longer and to attempt to negotiate a 640x480 size frame with no compression in those cases. It looks like it's the driver that controls what compression is chosen, so that may be possible. I'm getting towards out of my depth in terms of the driver implementation at this point however :blob10:

James

It's a pity that the camera isn't attached via 2.0 (full or high speed) to give you non-compressed bandwidth.

Another option is to use a run length compression when the value is below a certain amount - this would say 'is the pixel value below a certain value? If so call it 0 and then run-length compress it (non-lossy)'.

Archived