Appeture is king?

Hi,

I'm just browsing around the telescope sites and a thought struck me.

If appeture is king would a First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube Dobsonian

be massively better than a

First Light Optics - Celestron CPC 800 GPS (XLT)

if you only intended to do observing and not astro photography?

I currently have a 6 inch newtonian and am thinking i might need to get something a little smaller, ie a mak, but 6 inch maks seem to be rather expensive and I assume downgrading my appeture will simply make my experience worse... is there anything fancy in the optics themselves that can improve an image even with a smaller appeture?

I have a 6 inch newt, so i'd need to get at least a 6 inch mak just to keep the same viewing?

Its just a storage issue really... I have an option of putting it out in my shed. Does anyone else do this? I could get a cupboard inside the shed just for the scope. im just wondering how much impact the temperature variations will have on my scope.

im just wondering how much impact the temperature variations will have on my scope.

If the scope i skept in the shed like mine I also have a 6" newt, The scope will adjust to ambiant temperature very well as it will be closer to the outside ambiant temperature than keeping it inside the house.I do however intend to upgrade my scope and mount so will have to think about making it more secure from Burglers etc..

Kev.

It gets dismantled so that mount and tripod go into the shed seperatly from the OTA, which has the finderscope unattached before going away, the weight is also taken off making it a little easier to move around, I find this better because it makes me take the time to set up again correctly rather than get it from the shed and think that it is still all as was so to speak, The OTA is taken into the shed and Put in a position so that any dew can escape.

Kev.

Archived