Skywatcher 130m or 130p?

Hi, I have a budget of £180 (absolute tops!) After several evenings research I think I've narrowed down to either a Skywatcher 130m or p. Is it worth spending money on the motor, or should I go for the better optics of the p? How much better is the p - as a beginner would I see the difference?

Sorry for the cascade of questions!

Hi Hengy... & welcome to the forum

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130M is priced at £169... but allow for extras like a collimatiing tool & power supply for the motor. As for the better optics... at 5 inch aperture...you would probably need to be in perfect conditions with expensive eyepieces to notice much difference between them....light pollution or a bathroom light from a neighbour cancels any gap between them.

Or... there is First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian.. more to see... less storage space..more intuitive to use...quicker set-up time...no power source to buy...just a thought

Batteries for motor. 4x D batteries = £1 from local pound shop and will last a few outings.

The motor is realy only of any benefit if you want to try astrophotography and need to track the sky. Its ok and does the job but is nothing special. Also you need to have the mount aligned properly for it to be of any use. Something I never knew how to do when I had mine.

If £180 is your absolute max then maybe keep an eye on ebay and gumtree. I got my 130m on gumtree for £40 and my current 127 mak for £140. Try and keep enough in your budget for at least 1 decent eyepiece as this does make a difference, say £30 for a plossl.

There are bargains out there, just take your time and youll do fine :)

Hi Hengy... & welcome to the forum

Or... there is First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian.. more to see... less storage space..more intuitive to use...quicker set-up time...no power source to buy...just a thought

I've noticed a few people recommending this one. Can I ask some really stupid questions about it? The Dobsonian mount looks quite big - would it be easy to get it in the boot of a car (not a hatchback)? And how would you use it on uneven ground?

I probably should've mentioned in the OP that I'm interested in astro photography long term once I get the hang of the basics. Therefore I'm wondering if the 130p would be a good bet as it has better optics than the 130m and I could add a motor at a later date when I have a bit of money saved up!

For long exposure A/P.. you need to start with the mount.. an EQ5 is the minimum needed. Uneven ground isn't a prob with a dob..it doesn't need levelling & polar aligning etc. you can take pics of planets or use a webcam with the dob & it can also be mounted onto an EQ mount at a later date when funds allow.

Archived