Can't get in focus using barlow lens :(

I just bought my first telescope and it came with 3 eye-pieces plus a barlow lens. Now I can get good focus with all the eye-pieces but when i put the barlow lens in there doesn't seem to be enough travel in the focus to form a clear image. I tried all the eyepieces i have in the barlow lens and none of them would work. I'm probably doing something dumb, yes, so please tell me what :)

If it helps I've got a Saxon 705AZ3 kit...

The purpose of that Barlow is to allow them to make the claim that you can achieve 375x with this scope. You can't. The maximum power of a 70mm scope is 140x, which you can almost get with the 4mm eyepiece. I would suggest you put the barlow in your sock drawer, and get a 6mm Plossl eyepiece to use as your high power ep. If you want to, you can branch out to get other eps, but if the view through the supplied eps is satisfactory, stay with them until you learn a bit more.

Thanks for the advice everyone - i tried taking off the diagonal and hey presto i can pull stuff into focus - thanks Knobby !! :)

I'll spend some more time learning about the magnifications possible with this scope and i guess buy some better equipment later :)

Archived