Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to set up scope at kielder?

Thirdway

We booked a hotel up at Kielder for this week tues and Wednesday night. Taking the scope and mountain bikes. I wondered if there was a good place to set up the scope? Or is it just anywhere handy. I don't want to be eaten by wolves.

Was there last night. Low horizon observing is not great, but then again it's not the best way to observe anyway. Sky last night, totally ace. Saw my first Fuzzies. I think M95,96, 105 The Orion Nebula was a jaw dropping moment. Up until lat night I was viewing it with a 10mm lens and that pretty much was the limit of the gas cloud. Last night, using the 32mm 2" wide view skywatcher, the tendrils were almost out to the edges of the FOV. Stunning.

Also first time the entire surface of the scope has been encrusted with ice! Plus, a Rigel star finder isn't just an addition to a scope with no go to option, it's a necessity.

Archived