Transporting your Telescope

Hi

Just a quick question, I plan on taking my new Telescope camping with me and wandered how everyone else transports theirs as I dont fancy the idea of it rattling around in the back of my car !

Are there specific cases available or do you just make your own ?

What scope is it?

Some smaller refractors have purpose made cases for them and you can sometimes get padded bags for reflectors or big refractors.

Mine just goes in the back of the car and everything has to fit around it.

I would put it in a case but I've never managed to find one for a 14" dob :)

Are you worried about scratching it or misaligning?

I've used all sorts to protect scopes before now from towels to carpet offcuts. If you do similar just make sure the tube is capped to stop loads of dust getting in off them.

If you want something a bit more "proper" then there's things like these about...

Carry Cases

You could probably fit your mount and scope in one I guess.

Cheers guys, I may just go for a large holdall and some padding as two kids, dog, and camping gear doesnt leave much room to strap the scope to the back seat !

Either that or leave them all at home :-)

Cheers guys, I may just go for a large holdall and some padding as two kids, dog, and camping gear doesnt leave much room to strap the scope to the back seat !

Either that or leave them all at home :-)

My big scope only gets an outing if I persuade the wife she doesn't want to come (which isn't hard). I've got a big estate and the scope just fits in the back with the rear seats folded.

My big scope only gets an outing if I persuade the wife she doesn't want to come (which isn't hard). I've got a big estate and the scope just fits in the back with the rear seats folded.

I've never yet persuaded my wife to come. She normally mumbles something about standing around in fields at night with men in anoraks and rolls her eyes at me .....

We kept the box and polystyrene supports from when the scope was delivered. The scope travels quite happily in it and has the benefit of air all round it in case it's damp from dew or ice when we pack it away!

Archived