NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starting Imaging

OliverP

I would like to start doing some imaging in the future and I hopefully will soon have a SkyWatcher 150mm telescope (not sure if it will be PD, P or PL yet, but I will decide soon).

What cheap (eg under £200) options are there for doing some basic imaging?

I am completely new to this field so I want to know what you suggest.

Hi Oliver,

Most people would go for the 150p, just for value. the PD is too near the cost of the 200p.

For planetary imaging all you need is a webcam/1.25 adapter and IR filter, the typical wecam is a SPC900NC, but these are hard to get and expensive (look on ebay). Total webcam cost £50ish. Obviously a laptop or PC to contect the webcam to (expensive if you haven't got one). The software is free.

For basic DSO imaging you'll need, a Canon DSLR body (£120 ebay), T-ring adapter (£15 Amazon), EQ3-2 motors £90, polar scope £30. So around £250 in total.

For a lower cost DSO imaging option You could look at modding the SPC900NC for long exposure imaging instead of the canon body and t-ring, the quality isn't bad.

Perry.

Hi Oliver ,

A polar scope is inserted through a hole in the Equatorial mount (bit on top of the tripod). You then look through that at the North star (polaris) to Allign your telescope. With long exposure photography you need to allign this very acurately to prevent star trails etc. on long exposures.

For normal viewing you only need to point the tripod roughly at north and set the lattitude on the telescope to your local lattitude -eg 51 degrees for me in the south

Is there no way around that Lewis? Focal extenders?

The problem is not enough back-focus (i.e. inward travel). A barlow moves the focal plane outwards but multiplies the focal length - undesirable.

I included this in my pitfalls thread here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/180039-dso-astrophotography-pitfalls-misconceptions.html

Hi Oliver (from another Oliver P!! This might get confusing. If you start getting asked about astronomy holidays send people my way!)

DS imaging is complicated and expensive but fun. Webcam solar system imaging is cheaper and easier initially (until you want to get to Damian Peach standards). I'd suggest more reading before buying anything except 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards, an SGL stalwart. You can get it from FLO. There is a lot to take in and bad decisions too soon would be disappointing.

Olly

Hi OliverP

I'd suggest more reading before buying anything except 'Making Every Photon Count'

Great advice! A money saver. Another good one is Digital SLR Atrophotography by Michael Covington if you start leaning towards that route. Both books are worth their weight in gold.

Archived