Maplin 5 in 1 power tank - to power a skywatcher AZ goto synscan.

Hi, I just bought the maplin 5 in 1 heavy jump starter as a power tank 5-in-1 Jump Starter with Portable Power : Jump Starters : Maplin Electronics for my new skywatcher 127 AZ goto synscan due to the good write up on this forum.

The question I have was could I use the cigar lighter charging cable that comes with it to power the synscan? It suppose to allow you to charge the maplin jump starter in the car, but it also appears to fit nicely into the synscan charging socket.

I haven't dared to try it out just incase I fry it. :)

Anyone help? Cheers DD.

You may find that the plug is not quite long enough where it fits into the mount. There is a longer pin on the one supplied specifically for the AZ GOTO. The problem will be if the plug is not a good fit you have to start the whole alignment process again if the power is lost briefly. Worth a try though.

I've been using the same powerpack for a few months and have been pleased with it powering my HEQ5, and retaining its capacity so far. I briefly tried that supplied cable, but experienced some power interruption (as brucen stated). I found the fit of the mount-specific one much firmer.

Enjoy your new setup :)

Archived