Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How far will the Moon go?

At present, the Moon is slowly getting further away from the Earth. How far is the orbit likely to expand, and is there a limit where an equilibrium will be reached and it stops the orbital increase?

Will it continue to increase its orbit and eventually be affected in a larger way by the gravity of other solar systems bodies such as the sun, Venus or Mars? and if so, how will this affect the tides, and the Earth in general?

I know it will eventually spoil solar eclipses and the 'Diamond Ring', but I don't think I'll be around to worry about that!

I think the short answer to your question is "not that far". The moon's orbit is getting wider by 3.8cm a year and it's ultimate effect will be to impact the earth's rotation. That means the day will be 2 milliseconds longer in 100 years. Not much eh?

In 100 years, it will have moved further out by 380 cm - 3.8 metres. Not much for something such a long way away anyway (not in a cosmic distance sense I grant you), but still practically miniscule movement.

Some people say the moon will get closer to the sun - true, but it will also get further away when it orbits the earth.

Archived