Does bigger aperture = more light polution

to test it i have pointed it right between 2 streetlights out the front.

What's the effect when you hold it in your hand and look straight through it at one of the streetlights?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the effect when you hold it in your hand and look straight through it at one of the streetlights?

Good question, I got a skywatcher filter I'll try and hold it in front of my camera and take a couple of shots to show the difference.

Kev.

I am sorry for my previous misinformation then. When I was recently observing from my back yard with my new 12" scope, it seemed to me that the backround is brighter then uising my 4.5" scope under the very same conditions. It was however my confusion because at the time, the past-quater moon was up as well, so the background would have seen brighter anyway.

I am sorry for my previous misinformation then. When I was recently observing from my back yard with my new 12" scope, it seemed to me that the backround is brighter then uising my 4.5" scope under the very same conditions. It was however my confusion because at the time, the past-quater moon was up as well, so the background would have seen brighter anyway.

I think that you may experience some difference when going from 4.5" to 12" purely from the massive difference surely its got to appear brighter, but then again I dont know which is why I posted the question, im supposing that the object you are viewing will be better with a bigger aperture and just the fact that its collecting more light will make the background seem brighter. if that makes sense, im confused now.

Picked up one of those light portion filters for £19.99 but yet again still no clear skies :)

Anyway decided to test the filter to see how it filters out street lights and it works quite well , obviously it doesn't block the street light direct but the ambient shine does filter out quite well e.g I have low clouds and the light is bouncing quite bright from the street lights and when I put the filter over my eye the clouds look normal and contrat is excellent and sky looks darker :)

So for new starters well worth a buy.

Archived