NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CGEM DX 1100 HD Balance Issues in DEC

Seems my set up is heavy in the EP area?

Please refer to attached picture.

I have the OTA assembly all the way forward and still cannot get the tube parallel to the ground while attempting to balance in DEC.

I removed the guide scope, thinking that was my issue but didn't help.

Any suggestions welcome...

post-31308-133877743104_thumb.jpg

Either additional counterweights at the front of the dovetail..the "safety stop" screws can be removed, they are 1/4" unc and used to mount a small weight. You could also remove the rear screw and slide the OTA a little further forward.

I'd also recommend fitting a safety clamp to the dovetail, makes it 100% easier and safer to fit the OTA to the mount.

post-15261-133877743255_thumb.jpg

You may want to consider something along these lines

D Series Counterweight

Thanks Beamish, great info!

Either additional counterweights at the front of the dovetail..the "safety stop" screws can be removed, they are 1/4" unc and used to mount a small weight. You could also remove the rear screw and slide the OTA a little further forward.

I'd also recommend fitting a safety clamp to the dovetail, makes it 100% easier and safer to fit the OTA to the mount.

Thanks to you as well, Merlin66.

I must ask, however, what a "safety clamp" is?

I like the sounds of it but am not sure what I'm looking for in your picture, if one is in fact in your picture?

Cheers,

dynamo.

On the image above, just to the left of the orange saddle you can see a clamp which sits on the Losmandy dovetail. I Can open the saddle "jaws" and drop the dovetail in; the scope then sits against the clamp block while I do up the clamps...I don't have to support the weight of the OTA - just keep it steady. Much much easier...and safer.

It's available from astrodevelopments.

M3 Losmandy Dovetail Safety Clamp -Astrodevelopments (Home page -Astrodevelopments)

On the image above, just to the left of the orange saddle you can see a clamp which sits on the Losmandy dovetail. I Can open the saddle "jaws" and drop the dovetail in; the scope then sits against the clamp block while I do up the clamps...I don't have to support the weight of the OTA - just keep it steady. Much much easier...and safer.

It's available from astrodevelopments.

M3 Losmandy Dovetail Safety Clamp -Astrodevelopments (Home page -Astrodevelopments)

Very slick, thanks for sharing Merlin66.

The link seems to be down.

I wonder if there are any suppliers in Canada or the US?

Archived