Telescope from the loft

Hi all, recently i've got interested in astronomy again and dug out a telescope that i had when i was young from the loft. It's a Tasco 4ETE 40 power obj diam 40mm.

I've taken a look at the moon with it and it gives great views, however when i try to look at the planets in the sky at the moment they are very small.

Obviously needing more magnification i decided to take the telescope apart and see if the eyepiece was changeable. The good news is that it apears that it is, the bad news is that the size of it isn't the same as the 3 sizes that are listed in the eyepiece sticky.

I've taken some pictures of the various parts, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what i could do to increase my magnification.

Picture 1: The telescope

Picture 2: these 2 bits unscrewed from picture 5, this is the topside of the bits

Picture 3: same as #2 but the reverse side

Picture 4: same again but side view

Picture 5: the focus bit of the telescope the bits screwed on to the right hand side.

post-34260-133877741945_thumb.jpg

post-34260-133877741956_thumb.jpg

post-34260-133877741963_thumb.jpg

post-34260-13387774197_thumb.jpg

post-34260-133877741977_thumb.jpg

Hi Barny

I used to haveone of those when I were a lad, too many years ago now. Unfortunately the eyepiece is fixedand you cant swap to different focal length eyepieces to change the magnifications.

Philj

To be brutally honest, I would put this one down and buy something else.

This scope will never give high magnification and the mount does not appear to be suitable for astronomy use.

Sorry if this shatters your hopes.

But better to be told early and avoid throwing time and money at the project.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think that one was designed to have a fixed magnification. A 40mm objective lens is not going to support much magnification even if you could change the eyepieces so I reckon it would be best to enjoy the views of the moon etc with it as it is and perhaps save up for something with a bit more performance for the future.

Archived