NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dilema - to upgrade or upgrade......

idbvideo

I am in a bit of a quandry and could do with a pointer in the right direction with this one.

I bought a 200P and EQ5 mount just over a month ago. The plan being to upgrade this mount to put a Synscan goto kit on it in the middle of March.

I know that I plan to do imaging and also know that the 200P is at the top end of the the EQ5s carrying capacity. I also know that folks are happily imaging with the 200P/EQ5 combo. Having sad that I also know that things would be much better with a HEQ5 Pro mount.

One of my other hobbies is flying model helicopters, my two main helicopters are fitted with scale bodies, which make it a little scary flying them. Last weekend I considered adding another one to my collection at a cost of £400.

So do I forgot about buying the model helicopter, and upgrade to HEQ5 Pro instead of getting the Synscan goto for the EQ5 mount.

Or do I by the Synscan upgrade for teh EQ5, see how it faired for a year and then upgrade to the HEQ5?

Selling the EQ5 mount would recoup some of the cost in both cases.

Choices choices choices lol

I have 3, an MCPX, Align 450 in a Eurocopter EC135 body and a hybrid align/clone 500 in an airwolf body. To be honest, the fear of crashing and the expense of re-building/repairing the scale bodies is the thing that made me consider another 500 size heli. But even the airwolf body is only £150 to replace. You can guess which way I am starting to sway lol

Just noticed your in Blackpool, I am in Fleetwood lol

I have 3, an MCPX, Align 450 in a Eurocopter EC135 body and a hybrid align/clone 500 in an airwolf body. To be honest, the fear of crashing and the expense of re-building/repairing the scale bodies is the thing that made me consider another 500 size heli. But even the airwolf body is only £150 to replace. You can guess which way I am starting to sway lol

Just noticed your in Blackpool, I am in Fleetwood lol

Nice collection there..:)

I've got a Walkera piece of ****, HDX300, Twister 3D Storm and a dual rotor Twister Hawk... not gone to 2.4ghz yet..

Quite a bit of wind to put up with in our part of the world.. Not to mention the light pollution from those blasted illuminations lol

Get a second hand Syntrek version of HEQ5 add EQMOD then sell the EQ5 :)

Hadn't thought about the Syntrek version to be honest.

Cubemaster - Wind isn't as much of a problem with larger helis, having said that I fly at the Fylde Coast Model Flying Associations flying club site in Fleetwood, and it is breezy most of the time there. I have flown the MCPX in winds that I wont fly the larger helis in but this is becomming less the case as skills build up.

Anyway I have another 2 weeks before I need to decide. :-)

HEQ5...no contest. You can start out imaging with a 200P on an EQ5 but it's not a long term proposition. You will need either a bigger mount or smaller scope if you want to progress to better quality images.

Easy choice, you need the tools for the job so upgrade the mount:) plus you are never going to crash the mount. :icon_scratch:

I fly helicopters and aircraft and have too many of both:D:D but will only ever need one good mount. In fact I am probably going to sell my Robbie Huges 500 which has OS 120 FS power as it provides too much adrenaline for the trouser department :) fun but too much cash in the air :) and replace it with an EQ6. (also fly Robbie Millenium 50 3D, Airwolf 50 and Robbie conquest with shark body)

Good luck with your choice

Paul

Archived