SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Group Photo

Nessy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone seen demos of the new software that Microsoft and a couple of others are working on? It comes in two parts, one of which is called Seadragon and I forget the other. Basically the first part allows you to handle a huge number of photos on one page at one time and lets you zoom in and out on one really quickly. The cool part is the second part, which can take a load of photos of a subject and can make a 3D model of that object using photos taken at different angles by different observers. You can then move around that object and it shows you each photo as you move, almost like a pop vide effect. The BBC hosted some tests of it somewhere, and the Microsoft demo was of the Notre Dame catherdral. Basically the gave the software all the pics from Flickr with Notre Dame in it and it created a detailed model you could browse from all around.

Imagine if we could harness something like that to get a more 3D effect. I realise we're not exactly going to get something massively 3D due to pretty much sharing the same angle, but we'd still have a decent long baseline between all the members across the globe. :D I'll see if I can turn up the demo links, most impressive.

There's no way you'd get enough parallax for 3D. The best hope is to choose a circumpolar target and image 6 months apart but even then the difference will be tiny, way less than a pixel.

However, if you're into 3D try this. You have to cross your eyes to bring the 2 images together and sometimes takes a while.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=6875.msg74119#msg74119

Archived