SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Group Photo

Nessy

Hello, not that I could currently join in but has anyone ever tried to get a load of the imagers to all go for a particular object over one week and then combine all the images to see what sort of results you get rather than the normal same location/multi shot stacked? Ok - people may produce different resolution images but one would think most could be 'fixed' and stacked?

Combing all the telescopes to image one thing - LOLT (lots of little telescopes) rather than the VLT project (very large telescope)!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a fab idea! Just imagine how many images could be combined! Who's gonna do the final processing ? Who's got an Intel core 2 Extreme with 4TB of RAM and plenty of spare time? :wink:

Matt

I've got some cpu time on the UK's fastest supercomputer...

Great.... hell we can go for 21,904 X 14,454 resolution RAW images then. (Like I got a camera that good! :wink:)

On a more serious note, I'm guessing nebulae or galaxies would be the better target and benefit the most from tons of snaps? Should we set up a poll for an object ?

Vega

I would go for something easy to start with (yes perhaps the moon) and you are going to need one or 2 of the more advanced imagers to do the processing....

I was thinking it could even be possibly be part of an actual stargazrs group? Some could use different filters (HIII, O!! etc). In theory it could be very powerful have lots of pics of the same object at the same time(ish) - who knows the detail that you might be able to get out of it....

Darks....that's a difficult one and something that someone who knows what they are talking about would be best to answer. It may be that we take our image(s) with Dark, do some local processing and then submit X processed frames the 'main' processor...?

I'm not aware of anyone doing this before?

Why does it have to be done all in the same week. The great thing about imaging is that you can get keep adding data to a set of subs you collected the previous year. Everyone could send in there M51 stuff and away you go. The only trouble is that the noisier images will "damage" the cleaner ones. There'll be lots of translating scaling and rotating to be done but that's not really a problem.

A guy at our astro soc is wanting to get 2 us set up at different locations during a meteorite shower with web cams. His plan is to combine the images to produce a 3D animation.

Very true, it could be over whatever time frames. I only suggested a week as being short it helps move the 'project' along, and can mean a few different objects. It could be done over a month, year or X....it could include other countries etc. etc......

I know imaging is mostly very personal but the idea of many people contributing to a single project kind of highlights this whole sgl community...

I have to say that this is such a belting idea, even for those of us who may not be able to contribute quite so much. Besides its as SteveL suggested .....Resistance is futile-Borg collective :cool::lol::p:evil: indeed! LOVE IT!!

Where's 7-of-9? :wink:

Would this be a first for collective imaging on this scale? I love the idea of including members from o'seas too SO COOOL!

winter would give me time to practice too!

So if I might suggest a target, M51?

I've got some FITS that I can chuck in, but where to put them?

What's needed here is the wisdom and tact to tell me that mine were not suitable as the scale / quality / light pollution etc. weren't up to scratch an can't be used in the final product. Then I need to be able to cry in my beer without whining about this.

It is a great idea, but we need to be realistic and all participants need to understand, up front, that some unlucky person will have to cull some of the data in order to make it work. This could be upsetting so we would all need to respect the decision without question or quibbles. Are we all still in? Good.

Next thing is to appoint this processing guru (which is clearly not me, and I doubt that there will be many hands raised here) if we are to do it in any organised way. They will then need to do all the hard work that will be necessary and stick an image where we can all have a look.

Given the potential grief that this would cause, might I suggest a slightly different angle? This would be a drop box type of system where we all could add data of some object that could be nominated, or just chosen by the imager as and when. Others would then be free to harvest this data and process their choice of whats there to make a finished image. This would allow those without CCDs or cameras to download the data and have a play themselves. The added bonus here would be that would be imagers could investigate the amount of work involved before spending the dosh on a CCD imager or DSLR to get a feel for whats involved.

More opinions would help here, I'm sure, this is just my two penn'orth to get this very interesting project underway.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Stonking idea! Could be really interesting - an imaging co-operative :wink:

In the next few weeks I will be adding file hosting capability to Stargazrs, this will allow you to upload raw images, zip files of data or raw videos to share with other people... I'm not exactly decided how much space people will get but it will be enough to share this kind of data alot easier than sending out disks to eachother, it could come in useful for this project :cool:

Alternatively, I am happy to setup a file dump system for people to upload data to, we can have seperate folders for different objects...

I think we could accomodate all images KK - just apply a sigma reject during the combine to loose the dodgy stuff - no one will ever know :wink: I would be happy to process. Alternatively I could do the techy work of combining all the subs and then it could be opened up to a processing competition for all SGL members.

I am intrigued as to how we can avoid introducing bias. A "dodgy" looking one should not be penalised unduly otherwise people would have never discovered anything they didn't know already. We would need objective criteria, number of photons collected, size of star trails, etc.

One thing..... What about magnification ?

We all have many different focal length scopes... how would we sort that mess out ? :scratch:

Easy to rescale images using Maxim or ImagesPlus. Need to have images that completely frame the target though. M51 should be good in this regard.

I'm chuckling......and the more I think and read about others comments the more exciting/big it seems....

I do like KK idea of having a repositry that other non-imagers could then play with the data but we def need one 'main' man. I think anyone that wanted to join in would be man enough to take a possible rejection of image quality. Heck, I know I am no where near ready (or even currently able) but would love being a part of it. I think a lot of people would learn along the way and be encouraged to do even better when working with lots of people.

I've always loved the way musicians can work all around the world and then upload their samples/tracks for the main mixer to mix it into music....we're doing something similar with someone like MartinB producing the final result...you never know, it might just take off as an idea.....

Archived