NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which camera

tomlines

i have a 200 auto flex dob

im looking at a camera i can use for short exposures but day to day use aswell

do either of these fit the bill as i can find t-threats for them both

Olympus E-PL1

Samsung NX100

iv read tehre may be some issues with not being able to don focus enough?

thanks for any help in advance

Hi Tom,

I have an EPL1 and have connected it to my telescope successfully and have taken some pictures with it. It was my main camera for about a year. Take a look in the Album in my user details for some examples.

However, I would say though that it is not the ideal camera for astro work as it wasn't possible to remote control the camera, and it was limited to 60sec exposure. (Bulb is possible but you have to press the button in manually) I used it by setting a 2 second delay in taking the picture and manually pressing the button every minute or so. A very cold pastime in winter!!! If you want to take short exposures as per your post then this may not be an issue for you.

The other aspect to the camera is that it is very noisy on 60sec exposures. Some of that can be got around by stacking lots of exposures but in the end, you still get a lot of noise is the final picture and with stretching, it just amplifies it back out again.

In the end I upgraded (xmas pressie) to a Canon 1100D which is a much better performer and can be controlled via lots of different software.

Overall the EPL1 is a good camera for day to day use but i found limitations when using it for astro work.

I'm not sure about the backfocus required for the 200 Dob.

Hope this helps

John

Archived