Eyepieces

I have spent quite a bit on buying new eyepieces to replace the standard 10 and 25 mm for my 150 dob and skyma127. Then I remembered I had an old 8mm which came with a cheap 70mm refractor. So I tried it tonight on the moon and guess what apart from the small fov it showed a very sharp image. Hmm. This very cheap eyepiece has now been resurrected and added to my collection.

I bought an 8mm Baader Hyperion for about £90 to get me going - then a 15mm BST Explorer for about £40 - I know the difference in magnification between these lens makes it hard to really assess their worth but in all honesty I think the BST was far better value and going forward (I've already bought a few more and are waiting for them to come) I think I'll stick with the cheaper lens for a while

many of the cheaper ep`s are clones of expensive ep`s , they are just made in china or korea with much lower overheads .. bst`s are great value so are sirrus and gso ... these ep`s are often rebranded and sold for twice the price by well known companys

obviously when you compare a really expensive high end ep` like a nagler ,teleview or pentax ect there is no competeing with the cheaper ep`s ,but saying that most of the cheaper (£30-100) ep`s are very good for the money, compared to what cheap ep`s were like a few years ago .

i my self had a choice to make a month or so back , i was looking to upgrade my ep collection , i had a decent meade 4000 plossel 26mm, and a few basic other plossles 10 and 16mm ... i looked at the bst`s and the vixens , also the celestron xcel`s they were all exellent , but in the end i decided to go for the baader hyperion zoom .. its an awsome piece of kit ... it has transformed my sn10 scope which i was struggling to make sing !!! now i can use one ep in a whole nights viewing ,it is parafocal and i can wind the power up to 120x mag on m42 now and split the trapezium and get a little blue purple colour .i cant rate it highly enough ;)

Archived