NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baby monitor astro applications?

JB80

Hi all,

We have one of these Motorola MBP 30 Digital Video Baby Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Baby which has a neat IR picture setting and I thought once the kids grow out of the monitor that maybe there could be an astronomical application for the IR cam?

Does anyone have any ideas, I like the idea of a meteor cam but have no idea if it's even possible.

Not sure but I think these will be like CCTV units using the television standard rather than a webcam. It would be much easier to buy a cheap webcam such as the Xbox Livecam. These are IR sensitive when you remove the lens and IR filter unit to convert them for AP. They are very easy to modify. See appropriate thread.

It would be rubbish for AP I think, the IR in question is like nightvision turning the picture green which is why I was thinking it could be used as a sky cam but I wouldn't know where to start in trying to get the picture to a recordable device or if it can be done.

Yes, the "night vision" mode uses IR LEDs to light up the subject. That is useful for babies because they can't see it and so it won't disturb them. Same principle is used for photographing wildlife at night. These cameras are generally no more sensitive than webcams it's just that they don't use an IR blocking filter.

Well, since you already have it and won't have any use for it at some point, you might as well try it if you enjoy a DIY challenge. Worst case it might be useless but at least you've tried .. :) And who knows, maybe it works better than expected and we'll all end up buying these baby monitors.. :p

Well, since you already have it and won't have any use for it at some point, you might as well try it if you enjoy a DIY challenge. Worst case it might be useless but at least you've tried .. ;) And who knows, maybe it works better than expected and we'll all end up buying these baby monitors.. ;)

Exactly, it seems a waste not to use the camera and that isn't motivation enough to have more kids so I was wondering if it can be made to work somehow on another device not just the reciever.

Archived