Castor resolved as a double star

Betelguese Red Giant

Next time out

M81

M82

NGC 3077

Looking forward

M31 (Andromeda)

M3 (Canes Venatici) - late evenings now (Feb /Mar))

M35

M36

M37

M38

M44 (Bee Hive)

M13 (Hercules) - mornings at the moment (Feb/Mar) - try late spring

M92 (also Hercules) - (Feb/Mar)

M5 (Serpens) - (Feb/Mar)

M67

Double Cluster NGC 884/869

Coathanger Asterism

Albeiro Double

Polaris Double

Epsilon Lyrae Double Double

Alcor/Mizar Double in Ursa Major

The list is looking great. Will attempt some of these myself. Regarding the link to all the 'M' objects, I've had a brainwave. My 4 yr old has a mini bingo game-a small globe type ball dispenser-which i will use to basically pick a number (OK, i need to improvise from 100 onwards but hopefully you catch my drift) and then print off relevant info sheet on that number and see how it goes. Genius eh....?

Good luck anyway, and pray for clear skies.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I forgot... if you're in the area of Perseus for the double cluster... drop down to Alpha Persei... Mirfak and take a look at the asterism around it... looks like Alpha is sort of cupped. Also, on Polaris... look for the engagement ring :p... Polaris is the diamond. Kembles Cascade is pretty amazing, but far too large for a scope (I think...) probably best in a pair of 10x50 bino's to be honest... but well worth a look see.

And for the times when the moon is up and you can't see the faint fuzzies.. check out the Lunar 100... that'll keep you busy for months :)

Archived