TeleVue 8mm Plossl

Thinking of getting a new eyepiece for scope, which is a SkyWatcher FlexTube 200p. Quite happy with the 25mm for the moment, so want to upgrade the high powered eyepiece first.

Budget isn't particularly an issue, I'd quite happily spend twice the amount of the Plossl which is £78. I understand the 8mm would give me magnification of 150 (1200/8).

Anyone got any experience with these eyepieces? Or would you recommend an alternative? Let's say ideal maximum budget it £160 but would push to £200.

Have the 8mm TV plossl. Nice eyepiece but the eye relief is a little short ~5mm, I do wear glasses however.

I have a selection of alternatives, TMB, BST, Antares. Of those the BST is the best and with I think 15mm eye relief a lot easier to use and as good.

I bought this eyepiece to replace the one that came with my 150p and the difference was immediately noticeable. The image is much more defined and sharp. I would definitely recommend but couldn't comment about other similar priced eyepieces as I haven't had any experience using them.

I decided to go for televue as I had only heard good reports about them on this forum.

One of the things I like with my Baader Hyperion 8mm is the 68 degree FOV, which gives great views in my SW 200P dob, so have you thought about an eyepiece with a wider field of view than the plossl? If you do prefer a Televue you could consider an 8mm Radian (60 degree FOV), or secondhand 9mm Nagler (82 degree FOV)?

I agree with twotter - the Baader Hyperion 8mm and TV Radian 8mm are both excellent eyepieces wich I use in my 300P. For me the Radian is a smidgeon cleaner at the edges thought the FOV is a spot tighter than the Baader - you won't go wrong with either :D

Archived