NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problem with CG5GT... help!!!

milesteg

hello,

just arrived my new C8-NGT, and last night was the first time i took it out, long story short the clouds set in like 5 min into, but i got to play with the mount and scope set up and i think i have a problem.

The problem is that the mount wont slew as easely both ways of the DEC and RA(motor keeps running, but the mound goes slower and then stops...only on the RA the motor stoped a couple of times, but it was fixed when resetting to factory settings ).

i think i properly balanced ( i rechecked several times to be sure). Today i set up inside to look more closely to the problem and both RA and DEC have problem moving clockwise a little past from the home position. Just to be sure i reset to default, and the RA seems to be working ok now, but the DEC keeps with the same behaviour.

When slewing manually the mount, i feel it a little heavier when moving it on the direction that presents the problem, not much, but there is a difference.

any help is welcome...

regards

mteg

If it is new I would get in touch with the seller and not mess incase you void any warranty.

yeah... i'm on it, but i won't hold any hopes to send it back... bought it overseas through a forward shipping company... sending it back may be too expensive, so i want to try to avoid that....

This is always the risk of grey imports. Better than UK prices but only if nothing goes wrong. The only thing I can think is try adjusting the worm end rollers and worm adjustment screws as this may have been over tightened when assembled at the factory. This guide should help http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/but but the motor cowls will have to be taken of to access these adjustments which is not covered in the guide.

just got response form celestron support and they say that

"The problem seems to be gear binding which can be fixed by adjusting the motors/gears and the worm wheel block."

anyone with experience doing this?... how hard is it for me to try and fix it?..

regards

mteg

I say it is easy enough but not everyone is DIY minded or likes the thought of messing but saying that it really is easy enough to do. Once you remove the gear cowl it will all become self explanatory. Getting the gear mesh correct is easy done also. Use a piece of tin foil folded over on itself and then run it through the gear. If the foil rips it's too tight and if it is easily pull out of the gear it is too loose. May take a little trial and error but once done all should be OK. While you have the cowl off you may as well check the worm gears as well.

I say it is easy enough but not everyone is DIY minded or likes the thought of messing but saying that it really is easy enough to do. Once you remove the gear cowl it will all become self explanatory. Getting the gear mesh correct is easy done also. Use a piece of tin foil folded over on itself and then run it through the gear. If the foil rips it's too tight and if it is easily pull out of the gear it is too loose. May take a little trial and error but once done all should be OK. While you have the cowl off you may as well check the worm gears as well.

I'm gonna take some time this weekend to do it calmly. Thanks for the advice, i'll be posting how it went sunday/monday...

mteg

Do it in the living room so you can always take a breather if it starts to get on your nerves. The motor gear mess is a doddle but getting the worms just right can be testing. The thing with the worm gear is that there are two bolts holding it onto the housing. If one is tightened more than the other then you will get similar problems to what you are reporting. It is easy to adjust the worms on a manual mount as you can get a feel for what is too tight or too loose and you can get away with backlash. When it comes to motors you need to have it loose enough so that the motor is not under any undue strain but tight enough that it minimises back lash. Too much of either and the goto accuracy will suffer. What makes it even harder with the CG5-GT is that the mount is already noisier than most so it is hard to tell if the motors are under stain or not.

Done!...

ok, took it nice and easy... saturday afternoon started taking it appart, found the worm assembly and the shaft were really tight...the greasy seemed not even on the parts, so sunday bough a can of white grease (lithium based).. and regreased everything... all is very smooth now, it's really noticeable when slewing manually and balancing.

not really sure what was the factor that "fixed it"... but reagreased and adjusted the worm and worm gear and now is working ok on both axis... not showing the problem anymore.

thanks for the advice people...

regards

mteg

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Did you do a strip and re-build ? I ask as the trouble with WL is that it doesn't mix well with other greases so it requires all parts to be thoroughly cleaned to remove any risk of contaminating the WL grease. If contaminated the grease quickly dries up and no longer offers any lubricating properties.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Did you do a strip and re-build ? I ask as the trouble with WL is that it doesn't mix well with other greases so it requires all parts to be thoroughly cleaned to remove any risk of contaminating the WL grease. If contaminated the grease quickly dries up and no longer offers any lubricating properties.

yes i did. cleaned everything before applying the new grease.

Archived