BT Explorer 5mm in a 1200mm 200P

Just ordered one from skies the limit - but now having second thoughts and considering cancelling / changing

a 5mm eyepiece would give me magnification of up to 240x which I read is right on the limit for an f6 scope at this focal length. I thought this would cover my planetory high mag needs - now I'm wondering whether the 6mm would have been a better call.

I know the EPs are only about £40 so its not the end of the world one way or the other but would appreciate anyone's experience with this combination or general comments before I (possibly) get back in touch with Alan later today as they ship Monday

cheers folks

hi steve , i belive your scope is a 200p f5 with a focal lenght of 1000mm ...

a 6mm ep will give 166x mag ...a 5mm will give 200x mag ... i would say the 5 mm is spot on for your scope ...

if your mirror is 200mm that will roughly be your maximum mag ...around 200x with the usual conditions we have in the uk :D

ps where did you get 240 from ???:(

you might want to double check the specs on your scope ... i dont think it is f1200mm , the 250mm pds is f1200 f4.7 , the 200 is f1000mm f5 ?? i think !!!

The Skyliner 200P has a focal length of 1200mm and is an F/6 so Steve's calculations are correct. 200x will be useful more often than 240x but it's still nice to have the option on really good nights.

The Skyliner 200P is the one on a dob mount Hemi. It's definitely 1200mm focal length and F6.

Steve, I rarely get to 240x mag with my 200P dob. I tend to use around 92x with my 13mm EP up to 150x with my 8mm. There are occasions when I can go higher on certain targets and I've topped out at 375x mag on Mars in January 2010 (6.4mm plossl with 2x barlow). I would suggest the 5mm BST won't see much use.

sorry if I've confused things - 200p is a few variants I know perhaps I should have posted it in the header and not just in my signature - I've already contacted Alan to change but if it doesn't happen - well hopefully we will get those special nights form time to time and I'm already travelling into mid Wales for the dark skies so who knows

appreciate everyone's contributions- thanks for the time taken folks.

Steve

Archived