T-mount - telescope advice

Was wondering if anyone can give me some constructive advice.

I am using a konusmotor 130, Canon 350D and yesterday got an adjustable T-mount & ring.

I must admit, i got rather excited when it arrived and quickly set it up as we had incredibly clear skies (briefly for an hour or 2) last night.

I put a 17mm plossl inside the t-mount and set it up accordingly with my telescope. I have recently collimated the scope and the images are crystal clear now but when i tried to use the mount etc to take some moon shots i got nothing but blank images.

I know i need to get some books about astrophotography and there is a lot to learn, but im just a little confused as to why it hasn't picked anything up at all.

I am probably missing something here (other than some patience lol)but thought it wouold at least show a nasty blurred out of focus and unidentifiable image, but nothing, exactly the same image i got when i took a shot of away from the moon.

Can anyone give me some tips as i am seriously itching to get learning and try to get some images.

Regards

Alan

Alan - you don't normally put an eyepiece inside a T mount. You just connect the t mount to your camera and slot the end that lokos like an eyepiece barrel into the focus tube.

Unless you have something like this - an eyepiece projection connector. You attach the T ring to it and drop an eyepice inside. Is that what you have?

post-21583-133877736878_thumb.jpg

Yes Chris. Thats pretty much it, only it is adjustable with thumbscrews so that the extension tube connected to the t-ring adjusts in order to achieve better focus (disctance from camera to lens)

It all comes apart to allow me to connect it without the extension tube so it doesnt use a lens at all.

If it helps sop you can see exactly what i hace got, i got it new from ebay item number: 130652549984

If you put that into a search it comes with the item (only mine doesnt have the rubber grips on it and came with the t-ring.

Right Alan - we're on the same track then. Mine has a thumbscrew on the side you can't see in that image.

As you can see from the pic I have an eyepiece projection thingy. And I have a a Canon DSLR :D The biggest limitation you and I face (I have a 400D) is no live view :( so checking focus is a pain in the backside.

I have to be honest, I found the eyepiece projection pretty poor. I could only get the focal point to hit the camera sensor at the right spot with one eyepiece, my 25mm as I remember (I haven't used it for ages). The shorter eyepieces seemed to drop too far into the barrel so was too far from the camera's sensor to get a focussed image. It does sound like you don't have enough travel in the focuser to get to proper focus but to work out what is happening you need to experiment with different eyepieces in the barrel and move the focuser too and fro.

The moon is the best thing to experiment with and as it's only above the horizon for a short while now is not ideal. But you could practice in the daylight on a far away tree or tall building.

If it helps sop you can see exactly what i hace got, i got it new from ebay item number: 130652549984

If you put that into a search it comes with the item (only mine doesnt have the rubber grips on it and came with the t-ring.

Yep, same sort of thing then :D

Did you get any instructions? I'm just having a delve to see if I have any.

Have you done an idiot check? Made sure you've removed all caps? Checked the tube for obstructions (one evening, I was getting blank images that I couldn't explain, turned out a piece of plastic had become stuck inside my Barlow)? Made sure your camera settings are appropriate (although that's unlikely to be the problem with the moon as a target, unless your shutter speed is set to 1/4000 or something daft like that)?

No instructions with it but the company i got it from 'Skys the limit' are brilliant so wont be an issue getying some sort of instructions.

So, if i use a 25mm and higher lens it will get closer to the sensor and to compensate for smaller magnification, i could couple the adapter to a barlow - then the focus tube, that will give better results?

LOL NAFK yeah ive done the check. I fell for that myself about 2 weeks ago, spent 20 mins scratching my head wondeing what was wrong as i couldnt get any visual at all. Turns out i had left the ENORMOUS VERY HARD NOT TO NOTICE end cap on the telescope............Hmmmmmmm! Wont be doin that again lol

Alan - try these two links for some tips.

http://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/PDFs/User%20Guides/Eyepiece%20Projection%20Camera%20Adapter%20User%20Guide.pdf

Scopepros Projection Method

Lens? You cant put a lens on the camera (or at least I don't think you can, now I am doubting my own memory :D) You are still connecting the camera body direct to the t-ring.

Just bearing mind, if you use Barlows, EP's of any size you will multiply and tracking or visual errors, just use a T-Ring and a Adapter if its required, other wise you will be getting very bad results..My Camera, T-ring attached and the Adapter that goes between the T-Ring and fits in the Focus tube, i would advise nothing else...:D

2012-02-10183025.jpg

Alan - try these two links for some tips.

http://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/PDFs/User%20Guides/Eyepiece%20Projection%20Camera%20Adapter%20User%20Guide.pdf

Scopepros Projection Method

Lens? You cant put a lens on the camera (or at least I don't think you can, now I am doubting my own memory :D) You are still connecting the camera body direct to the t-ring.

This is a Baader Hyperion 24mm, it has a thread on the viewing end of the EP that screws in to the Camera T-Ring, the other end goes in the Focus Tube, its very finnercky getting focus ect...:(

2012-02-25120141.jpg

Archived