Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Next

Hi,

I'm new to all this astronomy and physics stuff, but having watched Brian Coxs' Wonders of the Solar System, I have to ask the following question, which perhaps someone can answer:

As the Sun grows in magnitude and those planets closest will be consumed one by one; including Earth, will this event allow other planets in our solar system to develop life as they move closer in orbit to the Sun.

Will planets and moons, like Cassini, be able to change their physical make up and develop an atmoshpere similar to Earths? What will happen to Jupiters gases, will they simply explode or blow away, and will Saturn ice ring, just melt. What will happen to Neptunes; its twin Uranus, surface of ice and rock, can these development into watery planets?

I would like to know if this is theoretically possible.

Regards

David

My guess: the outer planets' characteristics will indeed change in time, but the chances of any of their tempertures being just right not only for liquid water to exist but also for the necessary mix of elements to exist in precisely the right states, temperature and quantities are pretty slim - the 'Goldilocks Zone' in which the Earth resides provides all the necessary "just rights", but our planet's placement is so improbable that it's a virtual miracle any of us is here!

That said, you never know :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived