New to astronomy

Hi all i eventually bought my first telescope today, i got a 8inch dobsonian :-) im really looking forward to a clear night and showing you my first photo, it probably be of the moon but we all got start somewhere.Very pleased with telescope cant wait for a clear night now.I been told i will need some coloured lenses, im bit unsure what to get i been looking on ebay, any ideas and how much would they be?:D

any help be gratefully appreciated

paul

Nice 1 Paul and congrats on the scope - as regards filters, it depends on the sky you have - if its very light polluted where you observe from, then a UHC filter will help but bear in mind that these filters really darken the view in the eyepiece and are really intended for larger apertures and could end up with you struggling at the eyepiece.

If you have a really dark sky then just use the ep - the better contrast of a dark sky will be enough to bring out the brighter Nebulae and galaxies - but the brighter the background sky, the less contrast the views will be and wash out anything your looking for - yeah i know this Astronomy is a blumming minefield !!! but welcome and enjoy Paul

Many thanks for your help, i live in a fairly light polluted area although i intend to travel to darker areas when i manage to navigate the sky bit easier.i can see the mrs shouting are you coming to bed or not , quite a few times haha.once i saw craters on the moon im hooked.i have alot to learn :-)

Hi Paul, great name. Welcome to SGL. There are some good items on eBay sometimes, just be careful about splashing out a load of cash on there, as often things can be found through a reputable retailer such as First Light Optics, Harrison Telescopes etc. Would not like you to get stung. Great scope.

Thanks paul :-) yeah thanks i will have a look around at them sites you suggest,one question if i was to buy a moon filter what colour would you buy? ive seen loads different colours, theres so many, i realise in time i will probably need a lot of different lenses but i thought i start easy with the moon.

I wanted the 10inch dob but just couldnt rake up the funds at this moment in time but the 8inch looks right smart, i cant stop smiling :-)

I would use the eyepieces supplied with scope for now. In the mean time you can research eyepieces and ask lots of questions on here. I dont know much regarding moon filters. I use just the eyepiece and if the moon is full I use my Baader neodymium filter as it works a treat. Someone will be along soon with better advice regarding moon filters. good luck.

I dont know much regarding moon filters. I use just the eyepiece and if the moon is full I use my Baader neodymium filter as it works a treat.

Heard good things about the Neodymium filter, thinking about getting one when I order some new eyepieces in the next few days. On a slightly related note how do the filters attach to the eyepieces? Do they screw into the open end of the eyepiece or do you have to screw the top lens part off the barrel part and screw it in between?

Archived