NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LCD Conversion

Mav359

Hi Guys

Earlier in the month Jamie (JKB) posted his results of an LCD to Flat Field Panel conversion which he "wall mounted" in his obs, great idea i thought and being fortunate to be in a job where i had several broken monitors to choose from i thought id have a go & save myself £200......

I took a 17" Viewsonic and promptly disassembled it removing the cracked LCD leaving just the backlight, reassembled it and super, a working FFP.

There were two issues though, firstly the backlight needed dimming down, it was REALLY bright :) so i bought a 3mm piece of Perspex and jigged it down to size, the Jigsaw was pretty rough on the edge though so when i put the Perspex into the frame the backlight was grinning through the bottom edge hence the insulation tape. I have since found somewhere that'll cut to size so i may replace that, as it is though there is plenty of room for my scope's aperture. I'm currently debating this with my OCD :p

The second issue was that the monitor once powered up would go into standby mode turning off the backlight if it detected no monitor plugged in. 5 seconds wouldn't be long enough to take any flats so i needed a solution. I could run a second monitor cable up to the LCD from my PC but that’s more cables in the obs and would have been awkward.......:(

Step up my new personal hero, Chris (YesYes), who not only told me how to do the mod to the invertor board to keep the backlight on but volunteered too & has since done the mod for me!!! Top Man :D

So today i received the invertor board back re-assembled the LCD and attached the wall bracket ready to install into the obs tomorrow, i am a very happy bunny :(:D:D

Big thank you to Jamie who's idea this is (at least for me) & Chris for stopping me from electrocuting myself, cheers guys

post-22348-133877736019_thumb.jpg

post-22348-133877736026_thumb.jpg

post-22348-133877736032_thumb.jpg

post-22348-133877736037_thumb.jpg

post-22348-133877736044_thumb.jpg

Archived