NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging Double Stars

Since this thread is about imaging doubles too, wondered if anyone could post up a 'quick stop guide' for imaging some doubles, e.g. Mizar+Alcor or Albireo etc

Just a suggestion, (I tried to image Mizar on ETX 125 yesterday with DSLR but wasn't sure of settings etc so didn't get anything in the end.

I acccept this isn't the best setup anyway, but only one available to me. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have tested a 13mm Hyperion on Betelgeuse a single 60 second image, my plan it to try splitting doubles, just waiting on the Coma Corrector arriving (back order) so this i assume is a blowout Betelgeuse X 92 if the mag of the EP translates to the image when a DSLR is attached....

betelgeuse-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've attached my first Mizar image [well, third as the first two weren't as good] the information about exposure and film speed is on the image.

I have the camera attached via a T ring to either the rear of the scope [it has a flip mirror] or more usually replacing the eyepiece. I find that the camera has a vastly different point of focus than my eye does [see the second picture, left is eye, right is with camera] and it's slightly out of alignment with the naked eye view.

To get the image I centred Mizar visually [after taking the Mizar/Alcor shot in the DSO section], replaced the eyepiece with the camera, refocused, fitted the Barlow to the camera, refocused again and then started shooting away. I find it difficult to focus while looking through the camera viewfinder too. When I am using the camera lenses I tend to use the brightest object I can to set the focus in manual. Film SLRs you could just set at infinity which was the furthest out the focus would go, DSLRs have the ability to focus 'over infinity' which is annoying.

Good luck with your imaging.

Archived