Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Garradd through iTelescope

I very poorly tried to capture Comet Garradd with my Celestron CPC1100 at a rediculously early hour one night. The conditions were pretty good (nice, clear and dark) and I found the comet through the scope nestling quite close to M92, however when I snapped away with a DSLR (Nikon D40, ISO 1600, Exp 1-2mins) I captured nothing!

Slightly discouraged, but pleased I found the comet anyway, I tried again another night but again just got black images! I can easily photograph the Moon, Jupiter and even the Orion Nebula in a beautiful colour image but not this comet. I am told my scope is just not fast enough - the CPC1100 is an F/10 scope. I have a focal reducer that makes the scope an F/6.3 but am advised this too is not really enough. Longer exposures could help, however I am using the CPCs Alt-Az mount so I would need an equatorial wedge (and probably a light pollution filter...). ££££s!

I have an EQ1 tabletop mount that I can mount my Nikon D40 to and just try that... however this camera only has a 15-55mm lens. I suppose I could buy a more powerful zoom lens such as a 200mm or 400mm. What do you guys suggest? Money well spent?

I could also adopt a different approach and use somebody else's telescope... I have been looking at iTelescope, although I wouldn't have much of a clue how best to capture the comet using this system. iTelescope does not appear cheap - but it may be less expensive than buying more equipment for myself.

I really want to capture this comet and tick another astronomy event off my wishlist. Any help much appreciated...

Regards,

Egg

Hi Sam,

The images were all very black, no stars at all. Strangely, with the longest exposure (2 minutes) I did manage to capture some very out of focus faint objects, but I assume these to be stray light relections or something - I focused the telescope through the camera viewfinder with a Bahtinov mask (then removed it before trying to photograph the comet once I'd taken at least one snap with it still on!!!)

Definitely no stars though, and when I photographed the Orion Nebula, the camera captured quite a few stars, so I was quite surprised.

Should I try afocal?

I took another snap last night whilst playing with the settings on the Nikon D40. One photo revealed a blurry smudge, and I think I have managed to capture something at last. (Quite likely a street light!)

It appears to be a bit like the object I could see through the eyepice, however it is zoomed in a lot more. The field of view in the photo is considerably reduced compared to the eyepiece view I had. Should I be adding a 40mm T2 extension or something to distance the camera CCD from the eyepiece? I don't have my eye so far away from the eyepiece when I look though. What could be wrong here?

I must admit I am really struggling with this camera. The focusing has to be done through the tiny viewfinder (there is no preview on the LCD screen on the back). Also once I remove the normal camera lens to attach the camera directly to the telescope eyepiece, the settings and features seem to disappear and limit me to basic alterations. :)

post-23941-133877734262_thumb.jpg

post-23941-133877734269_thumb.jpg

The images are from one original RAW photo converted to JPG to display on this website and reduced 50% in size. The second image has been processed with Irfan View software, running the "auto adjust colo(u)rs" feature. - It shows there is more data there but I am not processing it very nicely.

The camera settings reveal maybe a bit of light pollution, but it was a short exposure (30 seconds) and the ISO was set high 1600.

- Thought I'd better add too that I see this through the eyepice as a white fuzzy. There is no colour in it (well possibly slightly green but definitely not red!)

Archived