First-time buyer

Just a quick query: I've been tussling with the standard newbie question of what kit to buy and where from. My budget is around the £500 mark (a little over is possible, but a lot less would be better) and I think I shall go for a SkyWatcher 250px (I have really good conditions in my garden and no real need to carry it far so size/weight isn't an issue), and probably from First Light. It is pretty tempting to load up on my best-guess at some extra bits and pieces but I won't until I have some feel for what I need. However the consensus seems to be that the eyepieces supplied with the SkywWatcher are a bit pants: if this is so would anyone care to offer an opinion on a better 10mm and possibly a 2x Barlow (the Tal maybe?) Any thoughts very much appreciated.

hi there sounds a good choice have a look at these

1.25" Eyepieces

have a look at the BST /TMB range i seen a few of these and they are decent eps for the money and yes the tal barlow is a decent one,not sure if you can meet with any one local to you to try and get a look through the said scope.

some people feel a bit let down with what they see some times am sure you have read enough to no the views you will get in B/W ,

its a good scope and very popular

Hi Toady... at around £430 for the 'scope & £30ish for a collimating tool, we're left with £40 of ya hard earned to spend... at that price I think most peeps would suggest you go for a BST Explorer... probably the 8mm...useful for moon...jupiter & saturn

What EP's do you get with the scope? The SW 10mm is pants to be honest, and I agree that a BST or TMB II 8mm EP would be a big improvement. I have a 7mm TMB II and it's a nice EP. If scope comes with a 25mm, then that one is worth keeping!

Thanks for the advice: looks like the BSTs are well regarded.

The scope comes with 10 and 25mm EPs, it's mainly the 10 that I'd consider replacing at purchase as no-one seems to have much of a good word to say about it, and look for something around 18mm in a month or so when the Mrs has stopped frowning at me.

Archived