quick skymax question

hi all, does any one reliably know if the little nut and plate inside a skymax that the dove tail screws locate into are captive? my 180 tube rings and dove tail have arrived and im eager to make the conversion, but if i remove the dove tail the last thing i want is the internal components rattling about

Certainly, nothing was "captive" in the old style (Gold) MAK150. :p

However, if the Black 180's follow the same general principal, there is [iMO] no REAL problem in quickly removing the corrector cell, to extract things that "fall off". I seem to remember the retaining screws are M2.5 hex bolts. It's worthwhile (essential!) to mark the rotational correspondence between the OTA and the corrector cell though. :)

A (relatively) DUST free environment... surgical gloves, if you must. If in doubt, desist? But overall, these things may not be as daunting as (I too) imagined. Collimation is retained etc. :(

P.S. MAKs are simple beasts. Caveat: The MAK127's have a rubber seal at the mirror end.

On internet anecdotal evidence, I certainly didn't want to get involved with THAT one...

Archived