NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcam + DSLR fusion

SteveL

After seeing something vaguely like this somewhere else (and I cannot remember where!), I have been thinking about this for a while now. I find that trying to roughly focus the DSLR to somewhere near the right area a time consuming process... so I thought I`d cheat with the rough focus :wink:

After buying a replacement eye cup for my Canon 350D and ripping the rubber strip off it, I glued a spare laptop webcam to it and placed that on the Canon viewfinder.

dslr-webcam-01.jpg

dslr-webcam-02.jpg

dslr-webcam-03.jpg

Yes, the webcam is upside down, but it allows me to see the LCD screen, and there are options in the webcam driver to flip the image. I also need to zoom the image because the viewfinder is small when displayed with the webcam. I havent actually tried this yet in the dark, so the webcam may be utterly Rubbish, but the idea kind of works. I may need to replace the current webcam with a longer exposure model (with lens), but I wont know until I try it out next time its clear and dark.

I`ll still be using DSLFocus for the fine focus, but I`m hoping this will save me some time when I have changed something on the imaging path and need to refocus the whole thing.

Tried that with a Toucam on the back of a Canon EOS350

some while back.

It worked fine to get sharp focus on the moon but the image

through the viewfinder was a bit too dim for anything else.

Might revisit this and try it with my D40.

Good luck with it, keep us posted :wink:

Archived