NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is my average digi-camera any use?

been looking at imaging equipment and thinking how expensive it is just for the basics when i remembered i have an average digital camera (Fujifilm-A860. 81 M.p.) lying around. As my 130p is a fast f-ratio what kind of use would this camera be put to?

Is it even close to being usable? What would it need to work?

Sorry, i dont have a clue about cameras. Even less about astro-imaging.

:icon_scratch:thnx.:)

I have an A860, and it's an ok little camera. However, it's low light performance is really very poor. it's also a point and shoot, so the lens cannot be removed to work directly with the scope. You could have a go at afocal imaging of the moon, hold the camera over the eyepiece and take a photo.

I have a small Fuji point-and-shoot and have taken some rather pleasing shots of the moon doing what John has described above. Simply point the camera into the eyepiece and hold steady. You can get some brackets to hold the camera but I've never used one.

Your next step up is to have a go imaging planets using a webcam.

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/40665-primer-planetary-imaging-toucam.html

Andrew

Archived