what scope/ hi from newbe

hi all

just joined, i`ve been thinking about getting a telescope for astronomy, i`ve been doing research and been thinking of either an 8" flextube on auto mount so i could upgrade it later to goto with a new hand set or a 10" flextube without auto (couldn`t afford the 10" with auto at the mo). How much better views would i get with the 10 rather than the 8 and am i better off getting the 10 anyway and just learning how to locate objects. also i live in morecambe and it may be nice sometimes to look across the bay so are there any lens that can be used to flick the image the right way up on newtonians?

would love to get some advice

thanks

Hello and welcome

My 10" is my first scope and it's a fantastic bit of kit it's quite large though and some people find them heavy though mine is a solid tube not a flexitube my advice would be pop along to your closest store and check out the size to make sure it's managable for you. The 10" gathers 56% more light but it all depends on what objects it is you're interested in viewing. The planets and moon won't need a 10" in fact you will probably need a moon filter for either tbh they're both very bright I can't look at Juputer for very long without a filter it's too bright. If you want to observe dso's and you can manage the size and have the storage space I would heartily recommend a 10" I love my 250. As for being able to view the bay I don't think there are any lenses that would help you but I'm no expert maybe someone else could answer that for you. If you're not interested in dso's then you might consider a refractor that may suit both requirements.

Myself I'd go for the dob and get some binos for the bay :-)

welcome to sgl a nice scope choice but a dobsonion mount isn't the ideal mount for terrestrial viewing. you can get erector prisms for newtonions so that's not the issue

First Light Optics - William Optics 1.25" 45 degree Erecting Prism

but the mount doesn't like to operate nearly horizontally. some bino's on a tripod would be a lot better.

The 10" scope is a large scope even as a flexitube you really should try and see one in the flesh some people have bought them and been surprised at their size but they will see better than an 8". Having said that an 8" will see plenty. If you have a car the 8" skyliner is pretty transportable and will give you some change to get the extras that you will need I would get the skyliner 200p rather than the flexitube unless storage is a big issue. but that's just my opinion they are both nice scopes.

good to know you can get a lens that will put the image the correct way round, but even if it is not the ideal scope for terestrial viewing it doesn`t matter that much as i really want it for astronomy , not sure what i want to view yet, probably as much as possable, i`m 40 and in good health so don`t think it will be too much troble even if a bit big to hide from the wife, i`m still in 2 minds as yet but i won`t have the cash untill pay day at the end of the month.

basically if you are looking at something on the horizon it means your scope is dragging on the floor. If you are high up and looking down your scope will not go go to that level it's designed for looking up. so a tripod really is the best design for terrestrial viewing.

Because of xmas I waited 4 months until I could afford the 10" newt I have and I can manage it easily but it is huge :-) but I' m glad I waited for it though that being said I'm seiously thinking if making a dob base for it and getting a small ed for imaging that way whilst the ed is imaging (bless sharpcap's auto mode) I can be gazing with the 10" at other things :-) but I haven't decided yet. It'll be next month before I try some imaging so I'll see then.

Archived