Filter Advice Required!

Hi all!

Ok so I managed to go out last week and attempt my first pictures of M42, and I managed to get... something.

I didnt focus properly and didnt take nearly enough pictures however the "something" I managed to get, made me very very happy - I now have a starting block to build on.

After alot more research Im ready to go out again - just waiting for the skies to clear.

Enough blabbing, my question is about filters. The blur that I managed to capture has colour - pretty reds, pinks and blues. However everything I am reading is saying to use RGB filters and taking various images in each channel.

1) What are the benefits of using filters if my camera already captures colour without them?

2)Do I even need to use them at all?

3)If the answer to Q2 is "yes" - can anyone recommend a filter set?

Thanks again in advance!

Claire

Hi there!

I have a Nexstar 6se and a Nikon 5100.. I have actually just read a post from someone else on here asking a similar question so I think Ive got the answer now! Thanks tho - I want to be able to list my equipment as a signature under my name - can anyone tell me how I do that, I cant for the life of me find the button! :icon_scratch:

Claire

Sorry for jumping in but I have a question about filters also I understand how ccd's and cmos sensors work and what the role of the filters are and here's my question. Filters on a mono ccd allow you to capture a full frame of each colour for each filter your using but dslr's have a bayer matrix configuration so would a filter make much difference as the sensor is filtered already? Wouldn't only the red pixels be sensitive to red because of the bayer for example regardless of a secondary filter?

Thanks for that BigBox - done, looks a tad more professional now :icon_scratch:

UtR - From what I have read on other post you are completely right - using filters on a DSLR is completely pointless - it would make no difference at all. You are also right about the red pixels but most people are suggesting this is easily amended in PS during processing!

Just praying the skies will clear soon so I can go out and give M42 another go!

Archived