NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Balancing a 200 PDS and ST80

I am almost ready to give guiding a go and in preparation I have piggy-backed my ST80 onto the reflectors tube rings using an additional dovetail bar. However, I now find it impossible to balance either on the RA or Dec very well and this worries me that I will be putting undue stress on the mount. Is this the wrong approach or am I simply doing it wrong? Any tips would be appreciated.

When you piggyback the st80 do you absolutely need he additional dovetail bar ? and what kind of dovetail bar is it ?

The reason I am askine is because on Friday I am getting the exact same setup, 200P DS, ST80 on a NEQ6 Pro, and I am wondering if I need to quick order that dovetail bar.

Hehe phew thats a relief....otherwise I will just have to order one. Soo looking forward to getting my setup from FLO.

You might just want to check with FLO to avoid disappointment. I know from previous conversations that the contents of the packages can sometimes vary. Be prepared for some drilling, there are no conveniently placed holes on the dovetail bar for the ST80.

When i had my NEQ6 and Reflector delivered from FLO one of the big boxes had a spare dovetail i think it was the NEQ6, i got my extra large Jubilee clips from E-bay 2 for 6 quid i think, the piece of plastic that goes round the tube, came from Texas DIY its a 1 metre measuring stick very flexible plastic just thick enough to go under the dome nut on the tube ring hinge.If your going for a Telrad get a extra base so when you spin the tube and the Telrad goes underneath take it off and put it on the other base, you end up with a base either side of the focuser and with a tiny bit of skill and a load of luck my first attempt to line the second base up so the Telrad still had the target star in the circle worked 100%..:icon_scratch:

Archived