Can I use solar film with my telescope?

Stevp

Good afternoon all,

My first real question to the forum so I hope someone can help.

I'd like to have a go at some basic solar observing (for sunspots) but i'm unsure about the suitibility of either of my telescopes. I have a skywatcher 150p and 60mm refractor (Astral 400, older than me I think!)

I think the refractor is most suitable, my question is can I just make a full aperture filter with the solar film and then observe?

I know all the obvious risks for eyesight and the like, but im unsure when I read warnings about melting things and such! The refractor is all metal but has a plastic diagonal, would I need to replace this?

Any advice or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Stevp

Either one will be fine, you can make a full aperture filter for either, but the 150p might be better with a smaller offset filter (ie, use that little removable cap in the end cover) since you don't need massive aperture for the sun, and the central obstruction would reduce contrast.

Many thanks,

I'll get some solar film ordered. Also, related question, can I use just normal eyepieces, currently I have the 10mm and 25mm shipped with the 150p, or are there any particular ones that are more suitable for solar observing?

I use a full arpeture one with my 150PL which is the same diameter I think and I have no issues, just make sure it can be secured well enough to withstand wind gusts. I started out using the same eyepieces too and they were fine. Of course if you want you can upgrade but it's not needed.

Normal eyepieces will be fine.

It is the solar film at the front that stops the IR, UV and visible so what comes through is (should be :):evil6:) far too weak to cause any problems.

The image will be a white or greenish white, bit strange. You will see sunspots but owing to the broad spectrum flares ad such like will not be visible.

Just make sure the filter cannot come off as in make it difficult to get off and do not forget to cover or remove the finder scope. Very easy to think "have covered the scope, now lets locate the sun in the finder and have a look."

If you use full aperture filter, it doesn't matter whether you use Newtonian or refractor.

The operation is similar to night time observing except you can't use your finder scope. You can find the sun by looking at your scope's shadow on the floor. The shadow will be smallest when your scope is pointed directly at the sun.

You only need a refractor if you use solar wedge or projection.

Thanks for the advice. Solar film is ordered from FLO, so i'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tips on the finder and on the shadow for pointing in the right direction to start with!

Archived