Wobbly Jessops 800x80 scope...

Hi everyone,

I'm still trying to steady my scope.

Last week I saw Jupiter doing its own small wierd orbit!!! this is very frustrating...I've lashed a heavy lump of steel bar underneath (18"x1"x1"). I now realise it is the mount that vibrates.

Has anyone got any simple (cheap) ideas for a mount?

Thanks to everyone on this site . I love reading all the threads.

I haven't seen one of those scopes, but if the mount is weak and wobbly then probably you need a new mount. Best not to spend money on it, though. Keep the scope for now and save up for something better. These department store scopes are, unfortunately, not very good for astronomy.

I heard (and it makes good sense) that if you keep the tripod low it will be more stable; and if you put a little outward pressure on the legs such that they're gripping at the ground (if that makes sense) it also should add a bit of stability.

*disclaimer- I am a total amateur :)*

Unfortunately that won't help if it's the actual mount that wobbles, a new mount is probably the way forward but you can probably buy a better scope on a better mount 2nd hand for not much more than the price of a mount alone. Such is the wonderful world of astronomy lol

it might help to hang a weight from your tripod spreader(a 2l bottle of water should do it suspended just off the ground) . The odds are that if the mount is wobbly the tripod is not the best either, and make sure all the bolts are tight on the tripod.

hi from me for my ten pence,keep the telescope legs short,do not extend them all the way,have you got a out door table?keep the tripod legs apart when you set up it will wobble i no this scope a friend brought one years ago,what he did in the end was use it till he got a 150p reflector and i watched him javelin the jessops scope of his garden hedge,the smile on is face was massive

Archived