Help in deciding for SW200p EQ5

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have used 90mm refractor and was fairly happy with optical performance but the CG3 mount was disappointment so I packed it up and sent it back. I've since been looking for this 8" SW on EQ5 mount. My question is how good are the optics and the EQ5 mount (mainly the mount). I want to get into photography using Cannon 1000D...

So is EQ5 built well enough to take the weight of the tube and the camera?? My budget is max stretched £500.. Please advice..

Thanks

Paras

It depends on what standard you want to aim for. You will be able to get some photos with the 200P / EQ5 but really the scope is too big for the mount. For a 200P to get the best quality photos needs an EQ6, even the HEQ5 is stretched with so big a scope for imaging.

Aperture is not important for deep sky imaging, think first about the focal length you need to frame the objects you want to image, then you will find which aperture will give you that focal length with a fast (low) focal ratio.

You will have an easier time with a smaller scope on a bigger mount. For best results, think HEQ5 minimum for an easier time.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I was in a similar position a few months ago and after a fair bit research I went for a second hand 200p on a HEQ5 mount. The general consensus seemed to be that the HEQ5 was about the minimum for a astrophotography setup. From what I've read, a 200p and DSLR would probably be at the limit of the weight capacity of the mount. I seem to remember that a rule of thumb is to go to about 60% of the mounts capacity.

I have only really just started taking photos but have come to the conclusion that spending plenty of time on the setup of the scope and mount is the most important thing. Although I haven't got any experience of using one, I reckon that you'll get some good results with a 200p/EQ5 if it is well aligned, balanced and set-up.

I did a quick search on google for 200p EQ5 images and found this amongst others...

M51 The Whirlpool Galaxy 3 May 2011 - closer crop | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Now I would be very happy to capture something like that!

I started of with an HEQ5 Pro and a 100mm refractor and it was fine. However, when I bought a 200p I found that the HEQ5 was pretty well at the limit of usability for imaging. I've since upgraded to an NEQ6 and I'm delighted with it - it's a much sturdier mount.

If I had my time again and I was in your situation - I'd see if I could get a second hand EQ6 and if budget is an issue, live with the 90mm for a while, then save up for a new OTA.

In my experience, just like houses being all about "location, location, location", the important thing in astro imaging is "mount, mount, mount"

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks you all for quick replies.. I understand from all above comments that 200p+camera will push 9kg limit of eq5 mount.. can you suggest some good alternative scope and mount. I had my eyes on evostar 120 on eq5 and skymax127/explorer 150p on eq3 mount before sometime.. Would love to have larger aperture for DSO but not as experienced with different types of scopes..

Paras

Which scope to choose really depends what targets you want to image but for deep sky imaging the mount is the most important part so that should take priority for the budget.

Do you want to image deep sky objects or planets? These need almost the exact opposites with telescopes.

For deep sky, you need fast focal ratio, so f/6 or less. Skymax is nearly f/12 so too slow. You want apochromatic system so Evo 120 is not good unless you get the ED Pro = £££. Focal length is what sets your field of view. If you have very dark skies then a wide field of view is great because many interesting and faint targets are very big. For most things you can fit them in the view with 750mm focal length but 500mm would be better.

If you just want the scope for imaging then ED80 would be the best. If you want to look through it as well, the 150P is best compromise. Get the biggest mount you can afford with the rest of your budget. EQ3 is okay as a first taste. EQ5 a little bit better but not much. HEQ5 is very good and if you don't want a bigger scope in future would be the best choice. NEQ6 would be the same as HEQ5 but gives you more options later.

For planets you need long focal length = Skymax. and the mount is not so important. The EQ3-2 would be fine. But a DSLR is not the camera for this. Better would be a high frame rate DMK type camera.

Thx Rik,

evostar and skymax are ruled out then.. Yes I want telescope for dual purpose img/visual and planets/DSO.. 150p seems a good bet but cant find any with eq5 mount.. I guess getting them separate will cost more then pre-packed bundle correct me if wrong.. Also how good is Skytravel 120 on EQ3 for both DSO and planets... Sorry for too many questions.. Difficult to make up mind when it comes to telescopes....

Paras

the neq6 is on my kit list. I have the 200p eq5 and the mount is not quite up to the job. I would try for the 6, more or less future proof.

Hi lamby,

eq6 will stay out of my reach for long time.. how wobbly is your current setup for visual and photography??

P

Thx Rik,

evostar and skymax are ruled out then.. Yes I want telescope for dual purpose img/visual and planets/DSO.. 150p seems a good bet but cant find any with eq5 mount.. I guess getting them separate will cost more then pre-packed bundle correct me if wrong.. Also how good is Skytravel 120 on EQ3 for both DSO and planets... Sorry for too many questions.. Difficult to make up mind when it comes to telescopes....

Paras

ST120 is nice visually for widefiled views but not so hot for imaging and not much good for planets. The Evo would be better if you really wanted a refractor.

The scope/mount bundles are mainly designed with visual use in mind. For visual use a 150P on an EQ3 is fine and with the tracking motors for the 3-2 or the EQ3 Pro makes a good 'training' set up for imaging. Easy enough that you can get some results that will seem fantastic, but soon you will wish for a more stable mount.

Visual, 200P on an EQ5 will be fine, but in windy conditions the scope will move. HEQ5 is minimum if you want to bolt on an dslr body and do basic imaging work. Again, if you then start adding guidescopes etc and are in an exposed area the scope will wobble as the gear acts as a sail in gusty winds. If you have the luxury of an observatory then the HEQ5 / 200P / ST80 config works OK, otherwise the EQ6 is the preferred mount.

Alternatively a 150P on an EQ5 would be good, or for shear stability, a 150P on an HEQ5 would be rock solid, and up to carrying a guidescope as well

Visual, 200P on an EQ5 will be fine, but in windy conditions the scope will move. HEQ5 is minimum if you want to bolt on an dslr body and do basic imaging work. Again, if you then start adding guidescopes etc and are in an exposed area the scope will wobble as the gear acts as a sale in gusty winds. If you have the luxury of an observatory then the HEQ5 / 200P / ST80 config works OK, otherwise the EQ6 is the preferred mount.

Alternatively a 150P on an EQ5 would be good, or for shear stability, a 150P on an HEQ5 would be rock solid, and up to carrying a guidescope as well

Completely agree with this :)

Thx malc, Rik,,

seems like 150p on eq5 if it fits in under £500... Searching for the deal now... thx

P

Everyone is hungry for business these days, so it's worth shopping around and seeing how much each retailer will reduce kit for, or do you a bundle offer, especially if they have stock in the showroom and you visit in person.

Thx malcolm and Rik,,

150p it is on eq 5,, will try and negotiate price down with the supplier be it FLO or others.. Just a final question how much is £50 extra spend worth for 150p DS.. All of you have been very helpful..

Thanks,

Paras

It's a matter of preference... the DS focuser is nice and allows you to fine tune the focus. As I mainly image through my scope and use a mask to get focus I have no need for a DS focuser.

Same here. Take your time getting it right and it's fine.

Archived