Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter on 10th Feb

ejwwest

Here's my very first attempt with my new Imaging Source DFK21AU618 CCD camera. I obviously need to get much better at aligning in Registax, but the Red spot (by chance) was visible.

This was about 1200 shots over 1 minute.

post-32243-133877730229_thumb.jpg

A nice start. Jupiter is getting to be a tough target ATM, but still doable with the right conditions.

I assume you are using a colour codec and not sure how many fps as the sums = 20fps but the 2 capture programs that I know of only allow 15fps or 30fps. It's not a big deal but generally it's better to grab more frames in a given timeframe, so if you wish to stay with a colour codec then you should set the framerate to 30fps, and also extend the capture time out to about 3 min or more. Make sure the Auto White Balance box is checked, or try to manually get somewhere near the colour you want on screen as this makes it much easier to fine tune later.

Your picture came out a bit squisshed as well, I believe this can happen when you rotate the image in some programs??

Nice to see your post and hope to see more.

A nice start. Jupiter is getting to be a tough target ATM, but still doable with the right conditions.

I assume you are using a colour codec and not sure how many fps as the sums = 20fps but the 2 capture programs that I know of only allow 15fps or 30fps. It's not a big deal but generally it's better to grab more frames in a given timeframe, so if you wish to stay with a colour codec then you should set the framerate to 30fps, and also extend the capture time out to about 3 min or more. Make sure the Auto White Balance box is checked, or try to manually get somewhere near the colour you want on screen as this makes it much easier to fine tune later.

Your picture came out a bit squisshed as well, I believe this can happen when you rotate the image in some programs??

Nice to see your post and hope to see more.

Thanks. I need to familiarise myself with all the various controls on ICCapture but my main priority was to check the new camera worked before Jupiter went behind the trees that obscure my SW view (so I only have about another week or so left where I can reasonably capture Jupiter). Will see if I can get a clear sky tonight and experiment with the various controls.

Archived